Strength in Conditioning for Monday, July 20, 2015
At SICFIT Scottsdale, it is never a question of whether to plank, but rather how long to plank for! We love this exercise for so many reasons but we totally get it that it can be quite the dreadful experience! So, to help you through today’s planking workout, we thought we’d share some of the benefits that come along with this exercise. When you are mid-plank today, instead of thinking about how badly you want to collapse to the floor, think about these benefits instead!
- Firms and tones the entire core — front, back, side, to side, this exercises hits it all!
- Reverses and prevents low back pain by strengthening the muscles that support out spine.
- Improves your posture by strengthening and toning your ‘stand-up-stright’ muscles called erector spinae muscles that run along your spine.
- Improves balance by increasing core strength. (Challenge your balance even more by doing side planks!)
- Measures progress easily by tracking your ability to hold this position for increasingly long durations.
- Cultivates mental fortitude, as the only thing preventing your from dropping to the ground is your own will power!
- Lifts your your spirit because let’s face it, it feels good to be strong and get stronger!
- Provides a simple challenge we can succeed at every day in almost any place or at any time!
Choose one or two of these benefits that speak to you and make them your focus during your planking today. Let this focus, combined with the positive energy of your coaches and classmates at SICFIT Scottsdale, be the fuel you need to be a plank rock star in today’s workout!
5 Minutes of PVC Work
Build to Heavy 3-2-1 Push Press
50 Mountain Climbers + 30 Second Plank
50 Mountain Climbers + 20 Second Plank
50 Mountain Climbers + 1 Minute Plank
1 Mile Run or Row