If you were one of the athletes who came to our competitors meeting last night, THANK YOU for showing up and supporting the team with your presence! We had the pleasure of starting our team meeting with advice from two of CrossFit’s most decorated athletes and CrossFit Games veterans Chris Spealer and Zach Forrest. For those of you who couldn’t make it, we’ve summarized the plan for our Team for the 2012-2013 season below. Hope you decide to become a part of it. See a Coach or sign up at the gym to get in on the action.
1. Our Team this year will include ANYONE motivated to compete and that want’s to take part.
2. Team’s Objective: To create an environment that fosters excellence, virtuosity, and teamwork in a way that inspires elite fitness, sets goals and fosters community. (oh yeah… and to have fun!)
3. Being on the team means you are committed to taking your training to the next level, and to participating with our community that is committed to the same. One time a month team CFS “outing” (meeting on location for a workout, participating in local athletic events, specific skill training as a Team, small group/partner training).
4. Two considerations in being on the team: 1. Being responsible for and respectful of your own training, 2. Being responsible and respectful to your teammates.
5. Competitor team training options are: M,W,F 4:30pm (Games Class), Tues-Thurs 11am-2pm (Lab hours), Sat afternoon TBD. This is separate programming and in addition to your regular scheduled CrossFit classes.
6. The team’s Coaches include – Luke Kayyem, Najla Kayyem, Mel Einbinder, Josh Wagner
7. Three Phases of the Year
a) Phase 1 – Aug – Dec: This will be the time for you to determine your goats, design your training plan, and get together with your team for small group training, and fun events. You will be responsible for determining your PRs and best efforts in a list of skills and workouts. Assignment by our Team Coaches into small training groups/partnerships based on review of your training ‘goats and training schedules.
Our first official meeting and training session will be a two day fitness assessment. We will be testing on September 8th from 12-3pm and September 9th from 9am-12pm.
This phase will culminate with The SICest of the SOUTHWEST Competition on October 20th at the Phoenix Convention Center. Please plan to participate on a 4 man team or to compete as an individual. Register at www.SICFIT.com
b) Phase 2 – Jan – March: The 12-14 athletes that we choose (based on workout numbers, PRs, and performance/rankings at local competitions) will become our CF Games Open Team. These athletes will be meeting for workouts outside of normal classes and will be getting much more hands-on coaching. The ENTIRE team will continue to meet for events and training around the Phoenix area. This phase culminates in ALL team members participating in the CrossFit Games Open.
c) Phase 3 – March -July: When we qualify a team (or two) for Regionals, we will narrow the talent pool down to 8 – and these athletes will train rigorously for Regionals with the goal to make it to the CrossFit Games in July. The rest of the team continues to meet for events and training and supports the 8 who have been chosen to represent CFS.
8. We reserve the right to be wrong… in other words, this is the plan based on what we know now. As the Team develops over the year, we reserve the right to modify, change, or adjust things. In other, other words, “Lets be flexible, people!” Look for some surprises thrown in there as well!
9. If you think you’re someone that is excited, enthusiastic, committed, responsible, and wants to take their training to the next level, with an awesome group of committed athletes, we’d love to have you. The cost is $100 for the year… and with that you’ll get one Team Jersey, 2 days of assessment and testing scheduled for September 8-9 and competitor programming.